Search This Blog

My Art

Click a picture to view a larger copy in Picasa Web Albums.

Sunday, July 31, 2011

My other creative outlet

I'm really busy right now! The art group is gearing up for the Art Stroll again on August 18, 2011, and I'm working props for the Theatre Huntsville production of Cat on a Hot Tin Roof opening on September 9. My husband is playing Big Daddy and my grandson is one of the kids. I hope you'll come see me at the Art Stroll, and get your tickets soon for Cat on a Hot Tin Roof (http://yourseatiswaiting.org/).

One of my favorite things to do is volunteer with local theater groups as a 'techie.' I paint and dress sets as well as collect and create props. My husband has been an actor in local theater since 1999, but I didn't get involved until he pulled me kicking and screaming into the fray in 2008. My first gig was the Fantasy Children's Theater and Academy production of Gingerbread House in the Forest. I was immediately bitten by the theater bug! Since then, I've worked on seven other productions for Fantasy, Theatre Huntsville, and Huntsville Community Chorus.

Until I began volunteering, I never realized how much work goes into putting on a production, especially with volunteer organizations. It's amazing that SO MANY people put in countless hours without pay, all for the enjoyment of the audience. It's addicting, and if you've ever worked in theater, I'm sure you know what I mean!

No comments:

Post a Comment